[lit-ideas] Re: Global warming claims tropical island

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 00:51:05 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

It seems to me that we went into Iraq convinced of our superiority and their inferiority, and we got our butts kicked hard, and the worst may be yet to come.  Now we're going into global warming assuming that there is no such thing when ALL scientists except those working for the oil companies say it's happening at this very moment.  We need to slow it down IMMEDIATELY, and we're still denying it's happening.  Our motto needs to match our MO, "Underprepared is good, unprepared is best."

BTW, the polar bears are drowning because the ice is melting.  The more ice that melts, the less heat is reflected back into space and the more is absorbed by the water.  The more heat that's absorbed, the more ice melts.  Trees in the tundra are now no longer rooted because so much permafrost has melted; they're just sitting on the surface.  The ice shelf in the Antarctic that was supposed to melt in 100 years melted in 35 days.  The evidence is overwhelming that GW is happening and accelerating, yet we need more proof.  What's wrong with this picture?