[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Charles Taylor Templeton Prize

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:42:00 +0900

On 3/20/07, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

AR:
> There is a disconnect when someone maintains that he both believes a god
> created the world AND the universe is a natural phenomenon (i.e., it
> happened by itself).

I'm not so sure I agree that there is necessarily a disconnect.  What does
the word "god" mean and what do the words "natural phenomenon"
mean?  "God"
probably has 6 billion definitions.  "Natural phenomenon" probably means
something like cause and effect according to the laws of physics as we
know
them.  Unfortunately we know very little about the laws of physics and
almost nothing at all about the "stuff" of existence, all we really know
are
some interactions among particles that we've been able to measure.  But
what
the hell the particles ARE remains as much a mystery to us as ever.  We
have
some primal words like "energy" that sometimes delude us into thinking
that
because we have a word we have knowledge, but it ain't so.  God could be
energy -- or energy a manifestation of God.  Is there some ground of
being?
Some not-beyond-which?  That doesn't have to be like anything you've ever
imagined.  To me God means the Wholly Unknown.  Do I believe in that God?
You bet.  The unknown is always with me.

The Rev. Mike Geary,
Pope of the Unknown.
in Memphis

The Geary! The Geary! Hear! Hear!