[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Charles Taylor Templeton Prize

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:12:59 EDT

Cheering, I am.  Amen, Amen, Hallelujah, preach it brother!!!!

Julie Krueger
wishing I were half as articulate

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: Charles
Taylor Templeton Prize  Date: 3/19/2007 2:36:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time
From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
AR:
> There is a disconnect when someone  maintains that he both believes a god
> created the world AND the  universe is a natural phenomenon (i.e., it
> happened by  itself).

I'm not so sure I agree that there is necessarily a  disconnect.  What does
the word "god" mean and what do the words  "natural phenomenon" mean?  "God"
probably has 6 billion  definitions.  "Natural phenomenon" probably means
something like cause  and effect according to the laws of physics as we know
them.   Unfortunately we know very little about the laws of physics and
almost  nothing at all about the "stuff" of existence, all we really know are
some  interactions among particles that we've been able to measure.  But what

the hell the particles ARE remains as much a mystery to us as ever.  We  have
some primal words like "energy" that sometimes delude us into thinking  that
because we have a word we have knowledge, but it ain't so.  God  could be
energy -- or energy a manifestation of God.  Is there some  ground of being?
Some not-beyond-which?  That doesn't have to be like  anything you've ever
imagined.  To me God means the Wholly  Unknown.  Do I believe in that God?
You bet.  The unknown is  always with me.

The Rev. Mike Geary,
Pope of the Unknown.
in  Memphis