[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Eric Yost <NYCEric@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 02:11:59 -0400

RP> Yes, of course. I was confusing his decision to 'go back' with his
taking a blue
RP> pill. (I'm not sure how he returns to the Matrix.)

I'm not sure either.

_______

He didn't go back. He was killed in an attempt to take over the
hovercraft and sabotage our heroes, then in the Matrix, from outside.

It always bothered me that -- like so many issues accessed by pop
culture -- the real problem in the Matrix was never addressed.

Neo becomes the Uebermensch of the Matrix. Big deal. Meanwhile countless
millions remain imprisoned in their gel-pack sleep pods. At the end of
Matrix 1, Neo, at most, gets control of the propaganda arm of the state.

The real instrument of oppression continues without a hitch. No raiding
parties to destroy the sleep pods, folks, just a lot of flying around
and fancy talk. So much like the Sixties.