[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:51:14 -0400

No, Robert, it wouldn't be rude at all -- and my heart agrees with you.
  But I teach intro phil to 160 or so students, only two of whom are
actually philosophy majors.  Almost none of the others ever take another
philosophy course.   Over the years, my purpose has drifted from
providing a solid grounding for upper year courses (although I do still
keep an eye on that) to firing them up about anything philosophical at
all.   Most will have seen The Matrix when I show it.   But what they
saw was an action flick.  Before the class viewing, they read and
discuss the First Meditation and the 'brain in the vat' theories and the
'happiness box'.   I use anything I can, song lyrics, art, literature
and film to bring them to the realization that the people out there in
the world who are doing things that they find interesting, begin with
ideas that generations of philosophers have wrestled with.  My intention
is for them to see how much philosophy they already are exposed to (only
no one ever called it that) and to convince them that a thoughtfully
developed philosophy is preferable to the inconsistent ready-made ones
most of them walk around with.

This is a really important topic and applies to so much else we do in
academe.   But marking calls.
Ursula
explaining herself in North Bay