[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:36:41 -0400

Waking Life might have been the second most nominated film last year.
Can't quite remember.
I haven't seen it. Heard mixed reviews. Lots of young students ask me
about it, so I should see it, I suppose. I have actually used The Matrix
even though most students have already seen it. Feedback suggests they
see it differently after Descartes and some 'brain in the vat" discussion.

I've seen the two movies you suggest below, but am not entirely sure in
what connection I would present them to intro phil. I'll have to think
about that...

I'm not studying for an exam, but I am writing a test for my first year
students. Just as tedious (although certainly not as stressful).

Working on multiple choice at the moment. The question I wrote just now:

Plotinus declared that the purpose of life was
a. for the soul to reunite with ‘the One”
b. to find tranquility and mental ease
c. to get as much pleasure as possible
d. to forge a meaning of life for yourself
e. to follow the prime directive

Ursula
200 miles north of Toronto