[lit-ideas] Decisions, decisions

  • From: Eric Dean <ecdean99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:05:57 +0000

Phil Enns writes, "...to talk of decision-making necessarily requires reference
to social circumstances."

I would add that not only does it require reference to social circumstances, it
makes reference to responsibility and to the aspects of the notion of
'consciousness' that are inextricably connected to the notion of
responsibility.  Entities which cannot have responsibility for something cannot
be said to have made decisions in the same sense in which people make
decisions.  A boulder rolling down a mountain side does not 'decide' to kill
anyone, whereas Oedipus did 'decide' to kill someone, though not explicitly his
father.

Moreover, it makes reference to a notion of different possible futures which,
to my way of thinking, is inextricably entangled with the notion of the
perpetuation of the social structures within which the possible futures are
defined.  If I decide to have fish tonight for dinner rather than something
else, that implies that there was a future in most ways continuous with the
present in which I ate something other than fish.  Not only do those imagined
alternative futures have most elements in common with the present, including
most social elements, but the present act of considering alternative futures is
itself something which the considerer's present social structures define, it's
a role (I say with great trepidation) in the socially-manifested game of
deciding.

One other comment on this thread.  Robert Paul wrote: "There's no a priori
reason why an 'optimal' solution to a problem should take any more effort or
cost more than a solution that's only good enough."  I think I understand what
Robert's getting at, but there are in fact perfectly reasonable definitions of
'optimal' and 'good enough' such that 'optimal' is demonstrably far more
difficult to obtain than good enough.  There's a class of relatively common
business problems that demonstrably have mathematically optimal solutions but
where all known techniques for solving for those mathematically optimal
solutions are intractably difficult using currently known analytical
techniques.  In this case 'optimal' means 'best overall outcome' given some
preferential weighting among the variables that are used to describe the
possible outcomes, and 'good enough' means 'an outcome I can accept'.

One of these, or so an operations-research friend of mine once told me, is the
problem of where to place a set of warehouses given that they all have to be
within a certain range of sizes.  The fact that there is a minimum size of the
warehouse puts a constraint on the mathematics of optimization such that the
then-current techniques (this was in the mid-80's) for solving the relevant
equations made them intractable.  The decision-maker has the choice of hiring
some more mathematicians to work harder at an approximation of an optimal
solution or taking an outcome he or she is willing to accept as 'good enough'.

Having said all that, though, all such problems I've encountered in my career
always have a variable the reasonable range of which can swamp the effects of
everything put together.  Even if you had an optimal warehouse placement all
figured out for Wheaties, it would be dependent on the demand pattern for
Wheaties, and if all the left coasters decided Wheaties weren't organic enough
for them (oh, oops, didn't mean to be casting any regional aspersions there...)
all the calculations would be for naught.  Which I suppose brings my example
all the way back to Robert's example of the runner training just to be able to
finish the Marathon.  Perhaps the wise business person recognizes that
'finishing' is nine points of the game as it were.

Anyway, enough for now.

Regards to one and all,
Eric Dean
Washington DC