[lit-ideas] Re: Decisions, decisions

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:08:17 -0400

Part of the skit with the 'happiness box' is that you can go in and come
out at will, but....no one who has gone in has ever come out.  For the
most part, my students answer that they wouldn't go in because it
wouldn't be right -- life is supposed to be about struggle and pain and
facing up to things.   I suspect, though, that the real reason most of
us wouldn't go in is that we don't believe thoroughly enough that our
lives are an interior thing.  We can't help thinking that we'd miss the
sunshine on our faces or the smell of apple crisp.   We don't really
believe that a computer wired experience is just like a real one.   My
personal answer has to do with Andy's last sentence below -- the
philosophical journey part.  I wouldn't trust anyone, not even myself,
to choose a life that's interesting enough for a lifetime.   I don't
know myself well enough to program my life.  And I certainly wouldn't
trust anyone else to do it.   Any life that I'd program could only be a
life that I already know.  And where's the fun in that?
Ursula
in North Bay