[lit-ideas] Re: Calley

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:59:18 -0400

Mike:Veronica, remember that much if not most of the leadership of the Third
Reich were highly educated and cultured.  Apparently education,  intelligence
and the dictates of morality have little influence on human behavior.  I
suspect it's something much more fundamental in our psyches that dictate
whether we'll be willing executioner or not.  Don't know what that fundamental
factor might be, I suspect it's a profound understanding that one's self is
inviolable.  But what do I know?

My comment was made not that education  makes people better or more moral.  It
was in reference to myself and how much I loved school, especially college.  As
Carol, I jumped on  the opportunity offered by Yale.  I attend lectures here
when I can by my favorite heretic.  But it's not often enough.  And not enough
variety.  I think the same thing re music.  I heard the claim, many times, that
music makes people better or more moral.  Don't believe that either.
Nevertheless, I support all education, except sectarian.

Veronica Caley

Milford, MI

  Veronica, remember that much if not most of the leadership of the Third Reich
were highly educated and cultured.  Apparently education,  intelligence and the
dictates of morality have little influence on human behavior.  I suspect it's
something much more fundamental in our psyches that dictate whether we'll be
willing executioner or not.  Don't know what that fundamental factor might be,
I suspect it's a profound understanding that one's self is inviolable.  But
what do I know?

  Mike Geary
  Memphis

  On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Veronica Caley <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Carol:
    What a treasure! I had no idea Yale offers online courses free to the
public. This looks like fun.--thanks for the link.

    Me too.  And now I demand to know who messed up that I was born too early
make use of this for very long.
    I demand another life time.  I just don't know from whom to demand it.

    Veronica Caley

    Milford, MI