[lit-ideas] Re: Calley

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 11:50:54 -0700

Lawrence wrote

Hmmm.

You are technically right because I didn't repeat the words of Mike that I was disagreeing with, namely ". . . that much if not most of the leadership of the Third Reich were highly educated and cultured." However, I didn't intend to expand Mike's "Nazi leadership" to "all Nazis." I had in mind "Nazi Leadership." And Joseph Mengele was never a Nazi leader. Speer was educated as an architect and my impression is that his duties were restricted to architectural enterprises. He was sentenced to 20 years at Nuremberg, for using forced labor in his building activities....

However, I'll abandon my quibble and give you Speers -- and I already conceded Goebbels. Still, Goebbels and Speer are weak shoulders to carry the burden of Geary's assertion that "much if not most of the leadership of the Third Reich were highly educated and cultured."
Your quibble? I'm not Mike (and I have a birth certificate to prove it). I'd thought that when you asked for some examples of highly educated Nazis, other than Goebbels, you wanted examples of highly educated Nazis other than Goebbels. In other words, I took you at your word. You ask for some apples, and I give you some (which happen to be Yellow Delicious), only to be told that, although what you really wanted were some Granny Smiths, I'm technically right. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

Robert Paul

I know that Goebbels was highly educated, but I can't think of anyone else that was. The Third Reich was commonly thought to be peopled by "thugs." Heidegger was highly disappointed in the educational level of the Fascist leaders. Those who did study on their own, it seems to me, were more likely to study some pseudoscience, or something bizarre like anthroposophy than anything we in civilized places like Memphis might study. But I could be wrong. Give me some examples of highly educated Nazis besides Goebbels.