[lit-ideas] Re: Calley

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:47:04 -0700

Robert,

I said you were technically right because it is impossible for anyone to write
anything without ambiguity, and I could understand after reading your note (but
not before else I would have rephrased mine) how you could take one wing of
possible meanings while I intended another.

But since you are being a stickler for my words in isolation, let me reproduce
them:

Mike,

I know that Goebbels was highly educated, but I can't think of anyone else that
was.  The Third Reich was commonly thought to be peopled by "thugs."  Heidegger
was highly disappointed in the educational level of the Fascist leaders.  Those
who did study on their own, it seems to me, were more likely to study some
pseudoscience, or something bizarre like anthroposophy than anything we in
civilized places like Memphis might study.

But I could be wrong.  Give me some examples of highly educated Nazis besides
Goebbels.

Lawrence

Note, that my words were addressed to Mike; surely then it is not an
unreasonable stretch of grammar to infer implicatures (to borrow Speranza's
word) that presuppose the note I was responding to.  Your insistence that my
note must upon being written stand alone and no way presuppose the note I was
responding to is at the very least unreasonable -- at least it seems so to me.

Lawrence