[lit-ideas] Re: Calley

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:02:34 -0700

Lawrence Helm wrote

I know that Goebbels was highly educated, but I can't think of anyone else that was. The Third Reich was commonly thought to be peopled by "thugs." Heidegger was highly disappointed in the educational level of the Fascist leaders. Those who did study on their own, it seems to me, were more likely to study some pseudoscience, or something bizarre like anthroposophy than anything we in civilized places like Memphis might study. But I could be wrong. Give me some examples of highly educated Nazis besides Goebbels.

Albert Speer may not have been 'highly' educated, but he was no thug. Josef Mengele had a PhD from the University of Munich. He's still listed on their page of notable alumni.

http://www.nndb.com/edu/705/000068501/

Robert Paul