[lit-ideas] Re: "Bleach smells like bleach"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:24:04 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 12:20:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pas@xxxxxxxx writes:
Perhaps  Eastwood's character is wiser than he appears. He's stating the
obvious --  "bleach smells like bleach" -- and questioning it at the same
time.

Well, to judge by his (the character's) expression, and as we are reminded
of the context,

        Eddie: This kind smells better.
        Franky: Bleach smells like  bleach.

it would seem the obvious implicature (explicature, almost) is

                   +> 'hardly *better* _to me_.

Odd how tautological implicatures implicate.

Cheers,

JL