[lit-ideas] Re: "Bleach smells like bleach"

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:12:03 -0500

JLS gives a translation of
>bleach: cloruro di calce --

PS: this is as cumbersome as us saying "sodium hypochlorite" (aka Javex,
aka Bleach) but I would think that your translation is actually 'calcium
hypochlorite' which is used as a more stable solid form (like swimming pool
tablets/pucks) of chlorination chemicals and doesn't actually smell "like
bleach", but more like chlorine and so... you are right, in your case,
"bleach (your bleach) smells like bleach (our bleach)" is inchoherent and
in fact, wrong.

JLS

>But I don't imagine the English line translates as:
>
>        Cloruro di calce fiuta _come_ cloruro  di calce.
>
>It would seem that the natural way to translate the line is _without_ using
>'like', and my point is that there does not seem to be in English a
>grammatical  way of saying that bleach _smells_ bleach, only _like_ it?

Another [at least two ways] of saying it would be:

"All bleach smells the same!"

Or

"Bleach is Bleach!"

p.s. I hope that those who HAVEN'T seen "Million Dollar Baby" yet are not
too spoiled by the plot-twist you revealed a couple of posts ago.

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada