[lit-ideas] Re: "Bleach smells like bleach"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:49:22 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 1:12:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  pas@xxxxxxxx
writes:
"sodium  hypochlorite" (aka Javex,
aka Bleach) but I would think that your  translation is actually 'calcium
hypochlorite' which is used as a more  stable solid form

>incoherent and wrong.

So, are you suggesting that Frankie should have less patronisingly  said:

     "Bleach smells like sodium hypochlorite"

or

    "Calcium hypochlorite smells like bleach".

What bothers me is the tautological subject-predicate repetition, as  in:

     "bleach smells (like) bleach"

-- as if Eddie (played by Morgan Freeman) didn't know _that_.

Cheers,

JL