[lit-ideas] Re: "Bleach smells like bleach"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:12:56 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:53:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pas@xxxxxxxx writes:
"Bleach  smells like bleach"

This  line reminded me of when (on Seinfeld) George, Jerry and Kramer were
in a  Sauna and Kramer exclaims "wooo. it's like a SAUNA in  here"

---

Well, yes, only that in the Seinfeld episode, we can assume that the actors
are _not_ in a sauna ('meta-representational character of tv sit-coms'), and
thus, "it's LIKE a sauna in here" would be strictly (to use a favourite of
Phil  Enns), 'literal', rather than 'figurative'?

No metarepresentational intention ascribable to the character played by
Eastwood, who comes out as just patronising towards the character played by
Freeman.

Cheers,

JL