[lit-ideas] Re: 3 SUICIDES AT GUANTANAMO

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 20:13:53 +0100 (BST)

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For that reason, I think we should execute all the
> guilty
> people there, as enemy combatants, after having
> extracted
> whatever information we need from them.

You mean "after torturing them".  Does this imply that
you would torture "only" those proven guilty of a
crime whose punishment is (in the US) execution?

Also: what rules and laws operate in Guantanamo?

> in Washington, D.C.
>
> So to follow FDR's lead, we could bring them here,
> try them,
> and execute those convicted of being "enemy
> combatants."

Certainly a proper trial following US laws would be
preferable. But I know of no offence of "(being) an
enemy combatant".

Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK