[lit-ideas] Re: 3 SUICIDES AT GUANTANAMO

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 13:50:24 -0700

Judy wrote:

The Fourth Geneva Convention, Robert, accords rights to
those not covered by the Third Geneva Convention, including
"unlawful enemy combatants":

'that they must be "treated with humanity and, in case of trial,
shall not be deprived of the rights of fair and regular trial" '

Thanks. Then I'm not sure what the Administration gains from using its alleged power to designated anyone whom it pleases as an 'unlawful enemy combatant.' The claim, I'd thought, was that so designating them made it possible to avoid giving them 'the rights of fair and regular trial' (especially as in a special military tribunal they're deprived of the right of habeus corpus).

Robert Paul
Reed College