[Linux-Anyway] Re: 19" CRT Monitor setup in SW9.1

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:26:54 +0100

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:31:29 -0800 (PST)
Meph wrote:

> > What indications do you have in your /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or
> > Xorg.0.log if you're using Xorg instead of XFree86)?
>
>    Hey, I just had an idea -- well, for my own X problem, anyway.
> Is there a generic XFree86(-4) or xorg.config I might be able to
> try to see if I can at least open X?  Then I can enter more
> specifics & keep going till it's (essentially) as my current.
> Only, I hope, without whatever causing X not to start.

A generic xorg.config probably wouldn't work - it could only be a
template, with hardly a useable config.

I've adopted a dirty trick: since I always have a knoppix cd on me, I
just shove it in, mount the partition where /etc is located read-write,
and then copy the XFconfig from knoppix' /etc to, say,
/mnt/hda5/etc/X11. I then restart the machine with the installed system,
and X usually works right away. The knoppix-configured XFconfig is
usually a bit on the conservative side regarding the possible resolution
and refresh rate, so you can tune it up a bit. It does DDC probing, so
the refresh rates it specifies are trustworthy.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714