[Linux-Anyway] Re: 19" CRT Monitor setup in SW9.1

  • From: John Richard Smith <BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:41:45 +0000

Godwin Stewart wrote:

>On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:34:10 +0000, John Richard Smith
><BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>In the UK where I live our domestic electricty supply comes @ 50Hz,which
>>means our lighting, particularly flourescent pulses @ 50Hz,
>>

>Whenever you have the choice of lighting system in your home, work
>environment, whatever, you should go for those low consumption bulbs. They
>look dingy as hell when you first switch them on but when they're up to
>speed they're no problem at all. The point being that these things have
>quite a bit of electronics in them. They rectify the 240VAC from the mains
>and use the resulting 340VDC to supply a relatively high frequency
>oscillator which makes the light pulse at a much higher frequency than
>conventional neon lights. Even I get a headache with neons sometimes,
>complete with troubled vision, nausea, the full works.
>
>Second choice would be straightforward incandescent light bulbs. Those
>pulsate at 100Hz on a 50Hz AC power supply (one pulse during the positive
>alternance, another during the negative alternance, i.e. 2 pulses per cycle
>at 50 cycles per second = 100 pulses per second). In fact it's a good idea
>to have one of those burning in an area lit by fluorescent lamps in order to
>attenuate the 50Hz flickering of the neons.

Well now, you describe pretty nearly my situation, I found it out by
default.
I have a 4ft flourecent tube light with defuser positioned to backlight
a wall so
that incidental light is dispersed around the room. It seems to help. No
direct
light onto the monitors( I have more than one)
In addition I found that you need a more powerful soft direct light
about your
worktop and around the monitors in general, and so I have a number of small
angle poise lights with small 25W tungston bulbs in them shining light
down upon the
desktops. As you say it helps to 'fill in' some of the pulse you may
still get
from the 4ft flourecent light, however cunningly situated.
I did have these low watage HF Oscillator bulbs in the small angle poise
lamps,
but I found they didn't last very long, it seems that the heat generated
just
cannot convect away quickly enough, a pitty really. I didn't want the base
transformer type, they don't seem to last very long either. Both types
work well
enough though, just not very reliable. So I went back to cheap and easy
25W tungston, which don't last long but are cheap to replace.

>>getting the refresh rate up to 75Hz is very important for me.
>>
>>I have now achieved that.
>>It works.
>>

>I take it you just modified the "HorizSync" line to include the higher rate
>allowing X to push the pixel clock?

Yep,
#    HorizSync   1600x1200 @ 75 Hz
#     HorizSync   31.5-79
      HorizSync   30-95
and,
    #VertRefresh 50-90
    VertRefresh 50-95

>One thing you can try in order to confirm what's going on is to run a small
>utility called "xvidtune". It'll show you all the figures I blathered on
>about in last night's mail.

You live and learn.
I've been running linux now for 4 years and never come across xvidtune
till now.
That is amazing.

I've used xf86config in all it's variations with each linux OS
SW seems to have it as a sort of wizzard come text editor varient.
Works well enough though. Doesn't have any test facility unlike mandrake's.
If you screw up you have to run it again from the consul, having sued root.
If that fails I'd use an editor like Vi or Midnight Commander to do it
manually.

But I've never heard of xvidtune before now, anyhow it says,
Xvidtune
HDisplay    1600            VDisplay     1200
HSyncStart: 1664          VSyncStart 1201
HSyncEnd:1856             VSyncEnd  1204
Htotal        2160             Vtotal         1250
Flag  005(or 0005 ?)      Pixel Clock   202.50MHz
                                       Horizontal Sync  93.75 Hz
                                       Verticle      Sync  75.00Hz

Which look good to me.

also kde-taskbar-kicker ^    Periferal  - Display,
confirms the 75Hz refresh rates(formerly 60Hz)

In anycase my eyes confirmed it immediately.
What a difference a good monitor setup makes.

I walk about other peoples office situations and often
wonder how the poor devils manage to work with it.
Badly set up monitors and poor lighting arangements
make for unhealthy working environments and
will effect peoples health in the long run.

I think I rather like SW , there is something about it.
I only wish I knew how to successfully build my own packages
from tar balls. I've had a few goes at it, but none of mine
work properly. I find that the professional builders of
SW don't seem to have quite a number of apps I like to have.

John