[Linux-Anyway] Re: 19" CRT Monitor setup in SW9.1

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:39:43 +0100

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 10:42:12 +0100
Godwin wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 02:08:07 +0100, Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Well, fluorescent lighting doesn't have to be bad. If installed
> > properly(as I guess it will be in most offices), there is no flicker
> > because lamps are connected to three different phases.
>
> Actually, not that many offices do have a triphase power supply. At
> least, not offices in the small businesses that make up 80% of the
> businesses of this country (.fr) anyway. .at might be a different
> matter.

Yes, it appears so. Here (and in Bosnia, where I went to school of
electrotechnics), it's triphase everywhere, down to appartments. If it's
not elsewhere I'm a bit surprised, since triphase is more economical.

> > The sinusoidae (sinusoides???)
>
> Hemorr^W Sinusoids :)

Ok, the wavy-lines then ;)

> > (I'm mostly enthusiastic about new technology because it makes good
> > older technology more available - though I probably shouldn't hold
> > my breath waiting to come across a fool selling his old Leica
> > because he's got himself a X megapixel digital camera...)
>
> Apples and oranges, really. As a photographer yourself you know that
> you can't really compare the two because the capabilities of any
> digital camera are fairly limited. Ever tried printing an A0 from a 5
> megapixel JPG file? Don't....

Sure it's apples and oranges, but many people believe anything digital
is automatically better. Too bad that people who have good photo-gear
will belong to those...

> > I wonder that you put up with this - I've seen quite good used 17"
> > monitors for less than 10 Eur, and I've picked up two good-ish 15"
> > Philips off a recycling dump here for free. You can surely find
> > something nice if you look for it, for 0-20 Eur.
>
> Maybe, but I don't have time to go scouring around for stuff off a
> dump or being sold by someone who placed an ad in the local rag. I
> need the thing to work, and I need a responsive and responsible vendor
> if it doesn't work. That's why I'll be buying something new
> eventually. Come to think of it, there's some cash coming in soon, I
> should be able to divert 150-200¤ from it to get a decent monitor. In
> fact, I've just seen an Iiyama 19" I'd quite like to have.
>
> 1600x1200 @ 76Hz
> Pitch: 0.26 (average for a 19")
> Pixel clock: max 200MHz
> H sync rate: 30-96KHz
> V refresh rate: 50-160Hz
>
> Only weighs 18Kg and costs 186¤ plus shipping... Hmm...

That sounds very nice. I'd go for a 21" though, if the price difference
isn't very big. There is no such a thing as a too big monitor ;)

I used to have a dual-headed setup for a long time, which is a very nice
thing to have indeed. On the second screen you can put stuff you want to
see but don't want to take up space on the main screen - things like
xconsole, audio players, monitors. I don't have it any more, since I had
to borrow my pci video card to a friend and never got it back, but I
think I'll scour second-hand shops and dumps for one.

Cheers

--
Horror Vacui

Registered Linux user #257714