[LRflex] Re: Simplicity

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:32:09 +0100

telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>Philippe Amard <phamard@numericable=2Efr> wrote:
>

>>David and Doug are using their R8s + DMR where
>>the viewfinder remains the same - not every camera
>>company offers this fantastic feature; this is a
>>downside for most of their Dameras but as many offer
>>autofocus, clarity of the finder is not such an issue
>>any longer=2E
>>

>IMHO viewfinder clarity is still an issue because AF isn't 100% reliable=2E=
>=20
>Many bird photographers with AF cameras focus manually for birds in flight=
>
>for a number of reasons:
>
>keeping the AF sensor on the bird is difficult
>AF focussing on the near wingtip instead of the bird's eye
>AF getting confused when the bird flies past a changing background
>AF refuses to operate when the lens aperture is small
>
>so I prefer to keep focussing simple and manual
>
>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www=2Ewildlightphoto=2Ecom

Righto Doug, you're right once again, :-)
but in a slot as I don't think in flight bird photography represents a
high percentage of the shots taken  by many a photographer, be s/he a
Leica fan as we are, or a K or C or elsist. And they still keep the
option of focussing manually. That's why I wrote it was not such an
issue. When you have enough time or simply feel lazy or if your vision
is getting impaired, autofocus still remains a plus, simply a non
negligible plus.
 Yours
Phileicangemix