[LRflex] Re: Simplicity

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:56:45 +0100

rvbayexplorer@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I read most all of the emails and love the photos; I=92m in awe of Doug =
Herr=92s wildlife pic=92s.=85.I almost feel like an eavesdropper=85=85but=
 I=92m hesitant to add my thoughts since I consider myself such a photogr=
aphic amateur that I=92m really not qualified to criticize or comment=85=85=
but in this case I do have something to add.=20

>I started out with a Nikon Photomic Ftn system (still have it with some =
great lenses including one of my all time favorites the 2.8/55 micro). I =
also have an R3Mot with a 2/50, 2.8/90 and 2.8/135 although I understand =
that some pooh pooh the Minolta connection. I=92m partial to the Leica le=
nses=85the most common, the 2/50 Summicron I consider truly great=85I eve=
n like the 135 that=92s not supposed to be great! Unfortunately these fil=
m cameras give me unpredictable results. Some good shots , some bad a few=
 that I love. Typically shoot=85..wait several days to a week for the pro=
cessing then =85Damn!=85jiggled the camera or wrong exposure, someone bli=
nked=85=85etc etc etc. then I got a Canon D60. What a difference! Shoot a=
 hundred exposures, correct as you go with generally good results led me =
to what I now have, a 1Ds Mk II. What=92s fabulous about the EOS is that =
I get to not only use some excellent Canon L glass but I also get to use =
the Leica lenses =85=85and the Nikon lenses =85and great Zeiss lense
> s=85etc.
> I must say that I get what I think are great shots even if they are mos=
tly of family and friends. That doesn=92t mean I don=92t still like to ge=
t out the old film cameras and look at them, handle them and even shoot a=
 roll of film now and then (however lately it=92s mostly then).

>But I do think I also have a perspective on the film/digital argument be=
cause I have a mint, 1984 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel that I will likely ne=
ver sell. I drive it almost every day and L-o-v-e it. Exceptionally high =
quality (nothing like the kachunk of a 300D door closing), talk about sim=
plicity; no catalytic converter; manual seat adjustment,; manual side mir=
ror adjustment, legendary reliability (Mercedes did the initial diesel en=
gine design of this car in 1936), fuel efficient, bulletproof ; I even lo=
ve the noisy diesel and the smell of the exhaust. A great car that I not =
only truly appreciate=85but kind of worship. However I also understand th=
at ABS brakes, traction control, air bags, crash testing, four wheel driv=
e, computer controlled fuel systems, catalytic converters and pollution c=
ontrols, vast improvements in automatic transmission design, etc. in the =
final analysis really make for a better automobile albeit a more complex =
and even finicky one.

>But I=92m keeping my Mercedes!
>
>Does this at all resonate?
>
>Harry

> =20
>
>It Does Harry, it does indeed.
> =20

Nevertheless I sold my 1984 6 cyl BMW last July for want of parking=20
space, and enjoy now a more comfy airconditioned, etc car.
I still miss the thrust and manual steering - Keep your MB, Harry !!!
Phileicangenieux.