[LRflex] Re: Query: Leica R 2x Viewfinder - Any Good?

  • From: William Abbott <bill2301@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 08:38:45 -0700

George, Richard,

Thoughts in the middle of the night: Let me tell you a story.

Some forty years ago I inherited about four file drawers worth of photographs,
clipping, letters, etc. and after some contemplation started to set up a copy
stand, which I got started, because I wanted to be able to manipulate and
reproduce images. Fifteen years later I bought a Mac Plus.

Then digital scanners come onto the market and I paid a big price ($1300+) for
a 300dpi b&w only whiz bang machine, which I learned to use. I upgraded to a
color scanner and a color monitor and better Macs.

Time passed. I abandoned analog photography years ago and am now entirely
digital.

I now have a nine year old scanner that will do color and b%w, transparencies
and opaque, up to 2400dpi, far more than I usually need in my work.

This scanner was $450 nine years ago but prices have dropped and capability
improved so I assume that good used scanners can be had for not much money.

Moral of the story: for my all-digital purposes, prints, letters and clippings,
my copy stand is an nine year old scanner.

Best regards,

Bill