[LRflex] Re: OT: Micro 4/3 , Leica R & M users, plus other goodies

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:30:37 -0700

Miha asked:

David, you must have explained this several times, but I keep forgetting: Do Leica R lenses require stop-down metering when mounted on the E3? Other benefits using R glass on Oly instead on Canon.

Hi Miha!

When used, via adapters (think Canon or Olympus & Panasonic) or the LEITAX mounts (think Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon & Sigma), metering is always stop-down. These adapters and mounts make the mechanical connection for the mount, but not the connection for the aperture cam(s). Of course, before the LEITAX mounts became available, adapters were the only option.

The benefits of using "R" glass on the Oly (as I do) are sharpness and colour consistency throughout the range. Surprisingly, resolution (for which Leica is famous) is not one of the factors, for most good Japanese glass will out perform most modern sensors. (Oly glass, for example, is said to resolve to the limits of a 20mp sensor... even though such a sensor does not yet exist. This would appear to be true, as I can use my Oly 1.4x converter with my Oly glass and see no reduction in resolution, even though I know it has to be there. But, at 10mp, the resolution of my E3 is still being exceeded by the combination.)

The main reasons to use Leica glass on an Oly instead of a Canon are, for me, these.... (a) the smaller sensor (2x crop factor) gives a substantial boost in apparent "reach" ... a huge boost for wildlife & sports photogs, though a big drawback for those who shoot wide and (b) in-body stabilization, so that my Telyt-400 f6.8 is now an IS lens (works very well!) and (c) the Oly has a less aggressive Anti-Alaising filter, which permits greater preservation of more fine detail in the image.

Not specific to Oly or Canon was the fact that I already had a huge investment in Leica glass, which I did not wish to have to replace

There is two other factors which is very personal ...

1) that is that the Oly fits my hand like a glove, very much as my R8 did. Somehow, it seems "right", to me, whereas the Canon's I've owned (20D & 30D) never seemed intuitive to my feeble mind. (I cannot speak for other Canon cameras.)

2) I find the finder to be both brighter and better for MF than those in the Canon 20 & 30D.... the closest to the R8/R9 finder that I've found.

In the absence of an R10, I'll be buying another Oly, in the future.

Your mileage may vary....

David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net