[LRflex] Re: OT: Micro 4/3 , Leica R & M users, plus other goodies

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:38:14 -0700

Philippe said:

BTW, a Nikon friend of mine - can't be perfect, can you - saw some of my 7.5 mp L1 raw files on the Imac last week and said the files looked much cleaner than his D200's , go figure... When David advised Alice on the purchase of the L1 for my birthday, this friend was pushing hard for her to pick the D200, it will have taken him 3 years to lose his prejudice and admit that after all, the right choice had been made for me ;-)

Good Morning,  Philippe!

You must remember, Mon Ami, that when the L1 suggestion was made, several factors came into play. (1) Alice wanted to give you a camera which would accept your Leica and Leica-mount Angineaux lenses and, at that point in time, the LEITAX conversion mounts were not available. Thus, Nikon was a non-contender. (2) The camera had to fit a "reasonable" budget. The L1 was the obvious choice, at the time, as it was/is essentially the Digilux 3, but at a better price. Although Leica claim different (and, so they say, better) firmware, I've never been able to see any difference between the L1 and the Digilux 3 in actual use.

As for your Nikon friend, recommending a Nikon... there's something I learned from 30 years of retailing Hi-Fi gear. Virtually every enthusiast, when asked, will always recommend his friends purchase whatever it was that he bought. After all, he thought about his purchase long & hard; and made his decision. To recommend something else would be to admit that he made a mistake! People don't like to do that.

OTOH, I learned that the only way to bring the customer back for later purchases was to guide him to a system/product which would fill his needs, not mine. Thus I learned the arcane art of the unbiased suggestion ... which, in your case, resulted in the L1.

Long lasting thanks to David :-)

I am truly pleased that you are pleased with it, my friend. And, judging from the results you get with it, I think it is pleased with you, too!

Best from high in the hills...

David.

---
David Young