[LRflex] Re: ...M8 Photos & Infra-Red (for Ted)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:16:07 -0800

At 23/11/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I'm new, so I apologize for butting in.  I am a little baffled as Leica has
>had experience with high end digital with the module for the R9.  I am also
>a bit surprised they did not test more as they were not in a huge hurry to
>bring out the M8.  They really would do themselves a favor in the long run
>to recall it.
>
>Dwight

G'Mornin' Dwight!

First of all, never apologize for "butting in"!  That's what the list
is for!  The more, the merrier!

As for Leica's experience with the DMR - well, that's not quite
true.  That large maker of digi-backs for Hasselblad, and other MF
cameras, Imacon (Denmark); designed and built the DMR under contract
to Leica.  Leica got a product to sell, but they gained no experience
from the project.

They have gained considerable experience with their PanaLeicas.  They
have now developed the in-house capability for the firmware, and thus
the Leica versions have slightly different (and better, according to
Leica!) colour renditions than their Panasonic equivalents.  They do
not, however, yet have the expertise to do a project like the
M8.  Thus they had a partner (just who. is a closely guarded secret,
within Leica) in the M8's firmware development.

They hope to have full in-house capability for all digital products,
soon. That is one of the reasons Leica (well, ACM) bought Sinar...
for their digital expertise.  Sinar will not be folded into Leica,
but they will now work closely together on projects for both
firms.  In the longer run, I expect we may even see Leica lenses for
large format cameras!  And, I expect that the R10 and M9 cameras will
have firmware fully developed in house.

As to their current problems... I'm not sure whether the IR issue was
an oversight nor not.  There is a distinct difference in colour
rendition between the DMR and the M8. This difference may be from the
IR sensitivity.

Being new at the game, Leica may have achieved the colour renditions
they wanted (and thereby setting themselves apart from other digital
camera makers) by including the IR spectrum, without realizing the
consequences.  Or, perhaps they knew the consequences, but felt that
they would occur in such a small percentage of shots that nobody
would notice, or at least complain, as the rest of their shots were
looking so good!

No matter what the reasons, there is a certainly a difference
between  Imacon's view and Leica's view of the world!  See:

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_DMR_Comp.htm

As for a recall... well, I agree with you.  Especially since they are
going to recall the cameras to Solms, to fix the banding
problem.  Although it would be more expensive to change the sensor at
that time, it would be the "right" thing to do.

It all makes me wonder if the "pre-announcement" announcement (leak?)
was a "trial balloon", to see how folks reacted to the idea of
filters.  Then, if response is poor, they can make an "official"
announcement of recall.  But, if it's well accepted, they could get
away with the lower cost option.   Lots of firms launch these "trial
balloons" to test the waters on many things.  Sort of like test
marketing an idea.  (We'll know the answer to that one, in a few days!)

Personally, I'd rather Leica had taken the "high road" from the start.

Thanks for "butting in", Dwight! I hope we'll have the honour of
"your voice" more often!