[LRflex] Re: Comparison of M8 Photos in Infra-Red.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 22:25:26 -0800

At 19/11/2006, you wrote:
>On 19.11.2006, at 19:40, David Young wrote:
>
> > All shots were taken in early September, with a pre-production M8
> > (firmware v0.23), using a tripod and Henning Wulff's 75mm pre-ASPH
> > Summicron.  Many thanks, to Henning, for the loan of his lens and
> > IR filter.
> >
> > The first shot is an ordinary, colour shot, for comparisons.
> >
> > http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_Colour.htm
> >
> > The next shot is in the standard colour mode, but with the IR
> > filter attached.
> >
> > http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/M8_Colour_IR.htm
>
>Ummm, why does the IR filter make the 2nd shot come out all magenta
>on my screen? Shouldn't it just cut out the IR ???
>
>colin

Hi Colin!

That would be "no".  An IR filter cuts most of the light EXCEPT the
IR... thus, in COLOUR mode, you get some the reds, more of the deep
reds and the IR, which shows as deep red.  The photo shows exactly
what it should... a colour interpretation of the (mostly) IR
spectrum.  It looks different from the colour version (without
filter) for exactly the same reasons that the B&W IR photo looks
different from the B&W version w/o the filter.

I included them all, so people could see just how much IR the M8
responds to.  If I get some spare (ha!) time, I'll post some shots
from the same vantage point, made with the same lens and filter, using the DMR.