[LRflex] Re: Comparison of M8 Photos in Infra-Red.

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:22:59 -0800

Colin Exclaimed...

>Ah, OK. Must have been thinking of a UV filter, which should filter
>out UV.  On the hand an orange filter lets through orange...

and the IR filter lets the IR through.   That's why the b&w photos
shot in IR (on any camera) have such dramatic skies.  Just as an
orange filter passes orange, but cuts the blue, rendering the sky
much darker, a red filter passes the red, but cuts even more of the
blue, rendering the sky darker still!

The difference with an IR shot is that it's much like using a very
deep red filter, but the heat (IR radiation - normally beyond the
range of the human eye) shows up as white (in B&W) or as odd colours,
so it is possible to tell warmer from colder things, as well.  IR
gives one a quite different outlook on the world!

In many instances, quite useful. However, in the case of the M8, it
seems to be causing a colour problem with some blacks... which may be
because blacks absorb heat (more than, say, white) as we all know.
This in turn, seems to cause the M8's sensor to lighten the blacks to
a purple or blue/black.

This is not a good thing, because it may cause the M8, and thus
Leica, to falter.  The M8 is a "make or  break" proposition for
Leica, and if they fail, our long awaited R10 may die, along with
them!  So, even if we're not fans of the "M" system, the ongoing saga
is worth watching.