[LRflex] Re: Update on your R8 DMR

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:45:52 -0800

At 21/11/2006, you wrote:
>Dear David,
>The comparo M8 photos in Infra Red together with the R8/DMR shots
>raised in my mind the question - what is happening with your water
>logged R 8 and DMR?
>A curious mind wants to know.
>Howard (in wet windy Hong Kong)

Good Morning, Howard!

As they say, timing is everything!  My waterlogged R8 + DMR, with
80~200 Vario Elmar, arrived yesterday.

For those who don't know the story, I left my camera with Leica, in
early October, as the R8+DMR had decided that the 1/4 second was the
correct exposure for all ISOs in all light conditions. Unless, of
course, the meter was set to "spot" metering, in whch case the
shutter would open, but not close until the camera was turned
off!  While there, Solms suffered torrential rains, the factory roof
leaked, and the office in which my gear was stored, was
flooded.  Thus a small repair suddenly became a massive one.

The DMR is considered, by Leica, as two parts.  The power unit
(containing the battery, shutter cocking motor & most of the
electronics, including the CPU) and the DMR itself (the digi back -
containing the displays, sensor and the rest of the electronics).

Leica told me that the power unit was replaced and, from it's
physical condition, there is no doubt of that.  The DMR itself was
overhauled, and pronounced "Perfect".  In the process, the
multifunction wheel (ISO/USER/COMP/WB) was repaired or
replaced.  These knobs (as attached by Imacon) have a history of
falling off and mine was becoming loose!  The new one has a very
different feel, being both stiffer and sturdier.  (I'm unsure if
Leica developed a new way of attaching these same wheels or whether
they use a wheel of a new design, with a better system for
attachment.  Either way, the repaired units have a reputation of
never giving trouble again, so this pleases me.)

Believe it or not, Leica still have brand-new, in box, R8's in the
warehouse!  I know, because they gave me one, to replace my
waterlogged R8, which was beyond repair.  As with the DMR. the base
plate was changed, so that I could retain the same serial
number.   (I was rather hoping they wouldn't have any left, and thus
replace it with an R9. No such luck! Still, I cannot complain, for it
is a brand new camera, which looks and works perfectly!)

And the 80~200/f4 Vario was extensively repaired, getting new
diaphragm blades, etc. Here, too, all seems to work smoothly and perfectly.

It's a little hard to fathom exactly what was done, as bablefish, and
others, do not do a very good job on the technical aspects of the
problems & repairs; and my high school German is not up to the
task.  However, it all seems to work, perfectly and I'm very happy to
have my 'baby' back!

What is clear is that the value of repairs is listed as 2,300 Euros,
and was billed to the "Public & Investor Relations" division of
Leica!  Now, the waiting game begins.. to see if Canada Customs are
going to send me a bill for duty on something which cost me nothing!

David (in Logan Lake, where it is +3C and snowing like mad!  I liked
it better, yesterday, when it was +12 and I could work outdoors with
just a sweater!)