[LRflex] Re: ...M8 Photos & Infra-Red (for Ted)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:50:50 -0800

Steve Barbour wrote:

>all well and good David...
>
>for Leica at present, the future is the M8...and it seems they are
>having some difficulty with that.
>
>I sincerely doubt they are thinking much about the M9 and the R 10....
>
>you may be thinking about it more than Leica.

You may be right, Steve!

What I do know is that at this moment, the R10 design team consists
of just 2 or 3 people, hashing out ideas of what the next R camera
might look like and what features it may have.  These folks are not
involved with the M8 project at all, but have been working
exclusively on the R10 since early last summer.

However, I agree with you, there is likely no thought of the M9 and
not a whole lot of thought regarding the R10, at Leica, just now. M8
problems have them all pretty busy!

Still, I understand that the design of the R10 will be decided early
in the New Year... for there are many steps from concept to design to
manufacturing process setup to actual production.  And, for a small
firm like Leica, having just 22 months until the next Photokina and
it's expected introduction, that puts them in "fast-track" mode!

Of course, the R-10 project, like any other development in any firm,
is subject to cancellation, given marketing or financial concerns,
until a final 'go ahead" is given by management.  If  Leica fail in
their attempt to recover financially, then the R10 would go down the
drain - even if it is, by then, a well developed camera.  Leica are
assuming the M8 will save the firm (and despite it's immediate
problems, it still seems that it will), so the  R10 is "the next big thing"!

David.