[LRFlex] Re: Introduction

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:27:33 +0200

Welcome Aboard Tommy.

Looking forward for a peep at Hawaï pictures. Being in France, it tends to put my brains in actions

Mind you, amthough French, I'm not from Tahiti, a dozen rows away from Hawaï!

You are using a RE? It's not that far from a FM-3 Nikon in terms or ergonomics and day to day use....

Here, I made a leap in the past, bought this as a "toy" (as per David's Young comment):

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/P6090003.JPG

Compared to it the Leica R7 viewfinder is a "gem"!

Cheers.

--------------------------------- Xavier F. BILLE Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: <tommytw312@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Introduction
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 23:31:25 -0400

I'm back to Leica R! I sold my R-E, R4sp and lenses back in 99 and switched to Nikon autofocus. Have gone through a number of Nikon lenses, couldn't really connect the way I did with my Elmarit 28, 135 and Summicron 50. Call me old fashioned. The Nikon 50mm AF-D came closest--and I kept it and an N-80 for point and shoot family photos.

But after six years away, I got a great deal on a new R-E and a like new 35 Elmarit (what a lens!). Also got a 75-200 in like new condition for US$152 on the Ebay. They're giving it away. Last week, I bought a new R5. I gravitate to wide angle lens, so the lack of autofocus isn't too bad (though I Leica would add focus confirmation to the R9 I would buy one in an instant). My next lens is going to be a...well, that's the fun of it, isn't it.

I have given up trying to guess when to jump into digital--who knows what technology there will be in five years?

I photograph in spurts--15 rolls one month, none for two months, etc. Landscapes mostly, Spanish missions in Califomia and Arizona. Until I can no longer get slide film (E100GX and Provia 400), I'll let the digital folks go through their girations without me.

I am 51 and live in West Virginia and work outside of Washington in the Government services sector. Travel a great deal, and bought the Leica as a travelling kit--wonderful results from a trip to Arizona and Hawaii this spring.