[LRFlex] Re: A question of planning.

  • From: "Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:00:31 -0400

Hi David:

Well, on a Hasselblad list, Tom of Oslo posted the following:

Read the press release after the extraordinary meeting of Leica
> shareholders.  Management warned: There is to be a revaluation of Leica
> stock which might result in even lower predictions for the future.  I know
> key dealers want to return to the factory M7's dusting down in the shelves
> (and spend the cash on Canon 1Ds II).
>
> When that evaluation is completed I think we might see a lot of cheap and
> new Leica stuff offered around.
>
> But beware:
>
> The huge volume of M-series glass out there is worthless in a few years
> unless Leica comes up with a good digital M.  'Good'.  Well, dont expect
> too much.
>
> Tom of Oslo

I'm not sure if such information is what you "wanted" to see, nor am I certain
that Tom was alluding to the most recent meeting.  Nevertheless, have you heard
that M7 cameras are not selling?

We have all noted the price increases for Leica products across the board.
Indeed, the a-la-carte M series is now easily about $4,000 for an M7 or an MP,
and can go considerably higher.  Those that reserved the digital module can
have the privilege of paying about $5,000, but I have already seen the DR
Module offered at reputable sites for $6500!  So, what is the future when Zeiss
Ikon RF cameras and lenses can be purchased at such a "savings", and the
LeiCanon is praised by so many excellent, experienced, and knowledgeable
photographers and colleagues here?

One quick word of praise:  I traded some unused gear for the new R 28-90 Asph.
I was originally skeptical that the lens was as good as Erwin and others have
said, but the results with the lens are truly wonderful.  There is a very
different and interesting pastel rendering of colors ( with NPH Pro 400 ), and
such colors,  when taken with the traditional Leica rendering of detail, makes
for great results.  It will be interesting to see how the same lens performs on
the LeiCanon, and I hope that some of our colleagues who have the lens and the
Canon will be able to give us more information.

Elliot