[LRflex] DMR question .

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:02:09 -0800

A friend of mine is shooting a dog sled racing event I think in Wisconsin or
in Alaska. ;-) OK OK snow looks like snow wherever it is, but it looks cold
as all get out.

He being a long time Leica R user I knew he had a DMR for his R8, so I
assumed he'd be shooting with it. When he sent me several e-posts of
pictures I was more than impressed with the quality on the screen.

Even the brilliant snow had detail in the sunlit frames. I was so impressed
I sent a congratulation on the great shots with the DMR.

Here's his response a few minutes ago. ;-)

>>> Actually it's the Canon 20D with the 100-400 4.5-5.6 L series with image
>>> stabilization.Temperature was 4 degrees with a wind chill of minus 40
>>> degrees. First battery lasted about three hours and about 100  pictures.
>>> Spare battery carried next to my body to keep warm. Photographer was
>>> wearing Columbia boots rated to minus 45 degrees, snowmobile pant bib,
>>> NorthFace Fleece covered with Columbia Omni-Tech Jacket Shell, and a
>>> rabbit furred bomber musher hat. Quite warm. Gloves weren't up to it
>>> though, I'll have to upgrade. With the right set up, you can stay
>>> outside for hours. Bloody Mary slush does help. You know it's cold when
>>> the bloody marys begin to freeze.<<<<<

Not a DMR in sight! :-(

So I've sent him a note.... "OK where's the DMR frames you being a long time
Leica user?"

When I get a response I'll send it along. In defence of the 20D there wasn't
any question when I saw the full image on a 21" screen I was looking at some
very detailed DMR images. Beards with individual hairs as sharp as all get
out, dogs and fur similar.

I am hoping he has his DMR just to see how much difference in "Musher
beard's and dog's fur" there is, if any?

ted