[LRflex] Re: DMR question .

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:01:04 -0800

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

>David, Doug and Steve,
>
>In the engineering world when doing any testing, the motto always
>must be "SEPARATE THE VARIABLES"  in other words, change
>one item at a time.
>
>Your tests would have validity if you had the same Leica lens on a
>Canon and DMR, with the same subject, lighting and post processing.
>Otherwise you are indulging in self abuse.
>
>Notify us if you have valid test data, not opinions.
>
>Jerry

Hi Jerry!

Sorry if I upset the scientist in you!  My comparisons were not intended
to be conclusive, nor even scientific.  They were made, based on two
photographs, as close as I could find to each other, made with similar
exposures and similar lenses (both Leica, at least!) and with similar
(though not identical) lighting and composition.

I do not claim either to be marvelous photos... but I believe they do
show, to an extent, the differences between the DM-R and the 20D.

I've been very pleased with the 20D, and in some ways it is superior to
the DM-R at 1/3 the price.  But what I found lacking in the 20D was the
lack (or, at least, the limited amount) of fine detail in, say, the
feathers on a bird's wing. Film shot with the R8 and scanned in my
Coolscan VED at 4000dpi is spectacular. And neither the 20D nor the DM-R
can match it.  But the DM-R comes very, very close, to my mind.

There is, of course the problem with the noise levels in the DM-R.  Much
higher than with the 20D. However, the algorithms which reduce noise
also tend to destroy fine detail (although to what extent depends on the
individual software). The Canon's are famous for being quite noise free
at high ISO's. but this in turn they have a 'plastic' look, as the fine
details are blended into one another.

When  I shot film, I was quite willing to accept grain as the price of
speed.  I view noise the same way.  It's personal, but I'd rather have a
bit more noise, and all the fine detail that Leica lenses are capable of
rendering. At least, this way, I can massage the photo afterwards, to
reduce noise as necessary, rather than having the camera make that
decision for me.

Is the DM-R for everybody. Heck no!  Is it for me.  I think so!  But I'm
still learning it's foibles, and how to deal with them.

Please look at the shots in the way they were intended. Look at things
like the weave in the fabrics, etc. Check the naturalness of the
colours.  I believe the DM-R is much closer to the original scene.
(Note the phrase "I believe".)

And remember, that the Canon shot was taken with what I would consider
the better of the two lenses... yet the DM-R shot still looks better, to me.

If you want scientific tests, I will attempt to accommodate you.  But
not this week.  Too busy.  Of course, you could always buy a DM-R and
20D and make your own comparisons!  ;-)

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt