[LRflex] Re: DMR question .

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:50:39 -0800 (PST)

Elliot
  Please allow me to add my two cents here. What I haven't seen yet in any of
the comments is the cost effectivness of digital.
  First Digital has come very close to film quality--I think we can all agree
on that
  Second It seems to me that each manufactures sensor handles an image slightly
differently--kinda like different types of film
  Now is the DMR worth it
  It will allow us to use our all existing lenses automatic mode the way they
were designed to be used
  Bright finder for focusing
  And the biggie--even at $6,000 it is quite a deal-- do we spend a year on
film and processing
  If you shoot like I do my ROI is less than 2 years

  Just my 2 cents worth
"Dr. Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  David: Your examples were, as usual, spot on and quite wonderful.

Might I pose a question with a somewhat different slant: How would the
picture of your beautiful Granddaughter taken with the DMR compare with one
taken with film...same parameters? I am not being difficult, nor is it my
desire to ignite an argument filled with vitriol from those on the thread
who are confirmed "digital photographers" ( sic ). I am only asking what
advantage the DMR has versus film? If one can shoot film, have the film
developed easily in an hour, and then have the dealer ( who knows you, and
works with you to slightly "tweak" your images on the Fuji "one hour
machine" ) immediately scan the images to a CD disc which then is inserted
into your computer for presentation, and dissemination ( and if need be
manipulation in PS )....well, what is the advantage for $6,000? All of us
are comparing the images taken with digital to those that are taken with
film. From the time the image is taken (on film) to the dealer to the time
the image is on your computer....several hours at most with the full
knowledge that you can bracket as needed, full use of all of your expensive
and wonderful R lenses is easily accomplished, no worry about batteries (
usually! ), etc.. I am simply asking if the advantages of using digital are
quite as obvious as the companies making digital cameras would have one
believe. I recognize that there are valid advantages to digital in the
publishing industry where wifi and quick turnaround are important. Of
course I see that professional photographer shooting weddings, and certain
assignments, might have some advantage by dint of being able to recompose
and shoot a flubbed or inadequate picture immediately. Of course I can see
that Doug or David shooting wild-life can have the opportunity to try to
shoot another image if one that you have taken is inadequate....but for most
of us with a Leica R system? Obviously the question can be reframed as to
the advantages of digital versus the disadvantages of film, but I still
wonder.

Please, once again, NO criticism of those using digital for any reason, and
only a question to ( perhaps ) inspire some additional debate about film
versus digital.

Once again....not a post meant in any way to negate or minimize those of us
who use digital and create wonderful images using their equipment. Only
meant to ask again if the advantages of digital-at least for the R
system-are easily perceived.

Elliot ( who is still thinking about a digital set up! )