[klaatumail] Re: New Dee Long solo rarities

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:42:30 -0400

At Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:42:44  Dean wrote:

> I like your #6 commentary David. I like Trevor Horn (Yes-Drama), and also
> any Mike Oldfeild stuff. Especially QE2.

The first two SEAL releases with horn producing are probably in my top 10 fave
albums of all time. The production is unbelievable....oh, and Horn also did the
multi-gazillion selling "Welcome To The Pleasuredome" by Frankie Goes To
Hollywood. Like them or hate them, the album is phenomenally produced and
sounds huge....even compared to today's productions.

> I'll have to research Dee and Terry's solo material to give further comment
> on that.

I would recommend Draper's "Light Years Later" or his 'best of' "Aria 52: A
Five Year Mission" for some hints had Klaatu-styled brilliance (both discs also
contain post-Klaatu recordings featuring all three members)

I am partial to Dee's "Been Here Before" because it's a techno pop collection
of CMI Fairlight recordings that Dee did as experiments. However, the best
produced and executed album is 'Outside' from which Dee manages to conceptually
and musically expand his palette. SOmething on it for everyone.

PS to Dave: As much as Dee has been known to remix the crap out of everything
he does and tinker and toil and sit on stuff...."Welcome To The Future" was
written and recorded in 14 days (or some ridiculously short amount of time).
It's the only album by him or Terry that is truly 'inspired' in that he hasn't
overthought it, second-guessed it, or spoiled it by over-producing it with
millions of bells & whistles. If all artists would approach their work this
way, they could go back to releasing two or three albums a year...and keep the
public's interest before the last album went stale. The way the Beatles did
things would still work today....people are just afraid of trying it. And given
the short attention spans of the media and the public these days, it seems to
offer the most potential to breaking out of the cycle of 3-4 years between
records.

Jaimster

Stay in the loop and chat with friends, right from your inbox!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?71354