[klaatumail] Re: New Dee Long solo rarities

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:48:23 -0400

> I like the NEW synth and sample models for
> the reasons Dave Bradley dislikes them.
> I prefer the sampled sound of a real instrument
> rather than the sound of an instrument being
> imitated (which is what Moogs and mellotrons
> attempted to do). Just my own preference.

You misunderstand me.  I don't dislike sampled instruments. I just don't
consider that a synthesizer. It's a sampler. Samples have opened the
door to low budget high quality recording/performance.

However, I disagree with you about what the Moogs were trying to do.
While the Mellotron was intended to imitate an instrument, and in
reality was the first sampling keyboard since it actually "played" tapes
of the instrument(s) in question, the Moog was originally designed to
make sounds, not instrument imitations.  It is those lovely sounds that
I'm so in love with. I've recently learned that my favorite waveform is
the triangle wave, something that your vacuum cleaner hose may easily
make but which most real musical instruments would not generate as part
of proper playing.  That's what I love the Moog for. The highly musical,
but non-imitating generation of sounds that are beautiful to behold.

Dave Bradley