[klaatumail] Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Fw: How Big is Walmart?

  • From: DPhillips@xxxxxxxx
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:01:38 -0400

I live basically in small towns... my home town in Linton, Indiana is
maybe 5,000-6,000 strong, and where I live now...which is 35 miles
southwest is Vincennes is just under 20,000.    In Linton in particular,
the downtown has been obliterated by Wal-mart's arrival.  They came along
with a Super Center on the outskirts of town where there really had been
nothing.  The first thing that happened was nearly every  grocery store,
hardware store etc.. closed.  Places that had been mainstays for years and
generation handed down bit the dust.  Then as most 'name' stores built up
around the Walmart site...more and more downtown shut down.  Now we have a
couple clothing spots, a bunch of antique type second hand places, a music
shop, a few bars...and offices and many empty buildings.  Vincennes is
pretty much the same altho the Walmart area in Vincennes has flourished
massively with all sorts of businesses popped up.  Uptown Vincennes,
despite attempts to revive it, beautify it, play on it's history etc...
still has a ton of empty unused buildings.

Dan

From:   Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   04/29/2011 11:12 AM
Subject:        [klaatumail] Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Fw: How Big is Walmart?
Sent by:        klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not sure about in the US, but in Canada Wal*Mart is powerful enough to
wipe out entire small towns by having highways and intersections rezoned
to bypass what were once flourishing economic centres. T