[klaatumail] Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: Fw: How Big is Walmart?

  • From: "Bradley, David" <David_Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:02:01 +0000

Or you could look at the situation where I am.

Walmart came in and nobody closed up shop.  The small groceries had already
gone out of business when Stop and Shop, Market Basket, Hannafords, Purity
Supreme and A&P came to town.

The record stores were long gone when Walmart came to town because Target, Best
Buy, Newbury Comics had put them out of business.

The biggest hardware chain in the area was Grossman's for decades. They went
out of business when Home Depot came to town.  Walmart hasn't hurt Home Depot.

Let's see, is there something else we can complain about?  Of yes, definitely.
We'll complain because they hired a ton of people who didn't have jobs.  Wait,
that's a complaint?  Yes, because Walmart doesn't pay union wages. Well,
neither did the mom and pop stores that Walmart supposedly (but didn't)
replaced.  So that's not really a valid complaint either.

Then what about the highway changes for the area?  Yes, they did that here too.
 They improved a traffic pattern into the heavy retail area that had such bad
traffic that a lot of people weren't going to Newbury Comics, Best Buy, Target,
Etc., because they wouldn't sit in that traffic.  Now that Walmart paid for the
changes (a requirement put on them by the local government before allowing them
to build the Walmart, and NOT an initiative of Walmart) there's such an eased
up traffic flow that people are frequenting all of the stores, not just Walmart.

But, those other stores charge so much more than Walmart, so how do they stay
in business with Walmart nearby?  Walmart is full of poor people who spend the
gas to drive 10 extra miles to save hundreds on their weekly grocery bill and
those with more money prefer to shop where those people aren't.  So everyone
wins.

Walmart, bad neighbor?  Not around here!

Regards.

Dave Bradley