[klaatumail] Re: Fwd: Fw: How Big is Walmart?

  • From: Jaimie Vernon <bullseyecanada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:15:13 -0400

> Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:49:46 Marc wrote:
>

> Here's a random pet peeve for you (not mine, but fodder for thought): Why do
> major sporting events continue to play "Rock and Roll, Part 2" as performance
> royalties line the pockets of a multiple convicted child
> molester/pornographer?

Why does radio play Billy Preston & Michael Jackson (both pedophiles) or Cat
Stevens (a proven supporter of Middle Eastern terrorists)? Greed is mercenary
and in the case of big business...blind to morality or ethics.

But you're mistaken if you think Gary Glitter ever sees a dime. My good friends
in The Kings who had a substantial North American hit with "This Beat Goes
On/Switchin' To Glide" don't get paid a dime when their song is used in
sporting events...because the performance rights collective SOCAN made deals
back in the 'old days' with sports venues to take a blanket annual fee that
allows them unlimited usage of its members' songs....royalty free. In the US
those collectives are ASCAP and BMI. And Canadian copyright and performance
policies usually follows their directive...so it's safe to assume neither ASCAP
or BMI pay their members a dime of that blanket royalty at sporting events
either.

Jaimie Vernon