[kismac] Re: 1.0

  • From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:36:03 -0400

Here's just a couple of cents:

>a lot of "bugs" are not really explainable, sometimes the airport
>connection simply wants not to come back, i could never figure out why.
>i guess it is just, that the airport driver has never been built to get
>unloaded/loaded all the time...

 From my perspective, I see this a lot (Nov 2002 ibook, 800MHz), even
with the brand new 10.2.8 build (please, nobody report me for
violating the &*^%$ NDA!). So for users like me, this is one issue
that would prevent a proper 1.0 (or any version) release that was not
still designated beta.

>however you should note: i can never provide a support like a company,
>since i am working pretty much alone on kismac and i do this in my
>sparetime...

I don't think anyone will fault you for that. At least they
shouldn't. At least I won't. The product is free and the source is
open. 'Nuff said.

>if you have any notes please let me know....

For a proper non-beta release, you should indeed have documentation,
but I've got several programs that are in perpetual beta for exactly
this reason - the developer has no time to finish the dox. While not
ideal, it is definitely the lesser of two evils. I'd rather have the
app than I would the finished dox, if forced to choose.

Of course, you'll have to thicken your skin against the whiners who
think they deserve perfection without having to pay a dime. I say
thicken your skin, but really concentrate on your own mental
wellness. If you have to take a break, by all means do so. Not
everyone will understand, but they will just have to go on living
somehow too.

I'm a programmer, but I'm all C/C++; ObjC so far hurts my eyes,
although I know I need to bite that bullet. Also, my driver
experience in OSX is limited to exactly one so far, and it ain't
anything nearly related to Airport or communications, etc. I'm with
you in spirit but I doubt I can contribute significantly. OTOH, I
-can- handle things like single-stepping through running debug code,
so feel free to request that kind of detailed testing of any code you
can put out there that might address the remaining issues.

HTH

Stefan Jeglinski