[jhb] Re: Win7 and FSX

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:16:26 +0100

Got your Kindle Fire yet?

Mine arrived this morning and first reaction is that I'm a bit underwhelmed. The Manual is about two pages. Most of the things I do daily on the Kindle, like downloading the Telegraph, are either more complicated or I just can't do them.

Off to look for a Kindle Fire Forum.

Gerry Winskill

On 23/10/2012 11:51, Fossil wrote:
I'm not sure there is Gerry.

In the old days I would just have dragged the FSX folder to the C:\ drive
and create a new icon but things are too complex now. There will be far too
many registry entries that would fail and too many other programs that think
they know where FSX is located.  I suspect a reinstall would be the better
options for peace of mind.

One of the paragraphs I wrote seems to have lost a line or two and it makes
no sense. What it should have said is:

If you turn UAC off then the Program Files folder loses its protected
status, files will be changed directly rather than in the Virtual Store.
I prefer to leave UAC on and install programs to a location outside
the Program Files folder - in fact I install to a separate drive which is,
mostly, empty. Some programs install to Program Files without giving you
any option so their amended files will always be found in the VS. For
programs outside the Program files folder UAC won't touch them and the
Virtual Store doesn't know they exist.

http://woodair.net