[jhb] Re: Win7 and FSX

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 00:33:51 -0000

UAC only kicks in to protect files in the Program Files folder. Windows maps
this folder with UAC and if there is any attempt to modify a file it saves
the changes in a mirrored file in the Virtual Store.

For most programs this isn't an issue as the only original file likely to
change may be an INI or CFG file. But there are many programs that amend of
add many new files, may run a database or need constant updating/amending.
If so all this work gets bunged into the Virtual Store - the original
program folder always remains pristine and as it was at installation.

If you turn UAC off then the Program Files folder loses its protected
status, file will be changed directly and the Virtual Store will cease to
exist. I prefer to leave UAC on and install to a location outside Program
Files which is, mostly, empty. Some programs install to there without giving
you an option so you will see their amended files in the VS. For programs
outside the Program files folder UAC can't touch them and the Virtual Store
doesn't know they exist.

With our SBS systems we have many data files, waypoint files, outlines files
(coasts, airspace etc) and airline logos/aircraft silhouettes. They number
into the thousands and we have constant issues with new users changing the
files in the SBS folder and complaining that nothing changes on screen. When
we eventually manage to get them to find the VS and change the file there
everything works fine again. I know we all have large hard drives but it is
still annoying knowing that Windows mirrors files in this way and clogs up
space.

I guess MS are aiming, as always, to the great computer illiterate out there
and don't give a stuff how much HD space it eats up.

Stay away from Program Files and your machine will behave just like you were
used to in XP.

http://woodair.net