[jhb] Re: RNAS Yeovilton

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:20:15 -0000

I think this is more a case of early designers being swamped with
conflicting programming routines.

When FS completely revamp the scenery engine and all existing tools are dead
it requires designers to start all over again learning new code and hacks.
The code for FS4 was tricky to learn but some got there - only to find
subtle changes in FS5 and then FSFW95. When FS98 hit the shelves it was
right back to scratch and many designers didn't make the jump - they were
too locked into the tools and procedures they had developed for the early
sim.

The same happened when FS2002 came out (actually FS2000 but nobody really
did any serious work on this). FS98 had stayed the course far longer than
intended (because FS2000 was crap) and the fours years of use had seen the
evolution of a huge number of design tools. Not everyone was happy to dump
these and start again so old designers faded out and a new crowd took up the
reigns. Now we have FSX and history is repeating itself again.

Past knowledge of design can be unwanted baggage to carry around and
sometimes can bog the designer down. Few survive more than three generations
of FS - I can't think of any FS4 designer from FSFORUM who is still around -
and only a couple of the original FS98 VFR design team are still active.