[jhb] Farmstrip Assignments

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 08:08:38 +0100

WEEK 7
======
Now that we've all had a taste of the innacuracy of fixes supplied by farmers, I'll revert to listing those recorded at
the actual strips.
A reminder, if you've been flying to normal airfields, in FSX, do remember to switch to VFR Terrain Mesh, before flying these assignments.

LYMM DAM    X4LD  N53 22.17  W2 28.81   Altitude 150' AMSL
========

LOCATION
-------------
Located 1 mile S of Lymm and 1/2 mile N of M56. Due to its proximity to Manchester Airport the number of movements is
restricted.
The strip is located within the Manchester CTR, so control rules apply and if IVAO at Mancheste is manned, contact is
adviseable.

RUNWAYS
-------------
09 / 27  (500 x 10 meters)
There is a fence at the West end and a pole at the East end of the strip.
Beware of confusing hay bales with runway markers!

CIRCUITS
-----------
No specific instructions and no noise abatement proceedurs.

WINDSOCK
--------------
To the South of the strip.

LLEWENI PARC   X7LP   N53 12.70  W3 23.46       Altitude 134' AMSL
============

LOCATION
-------------
The field is located 1.5 miles NE of Denbigh and 4 miles SE of St Asaph.
Trees border the field.
Gliders present.

RUNWAYS
-------------
09 / 27  (1000 x 300 metres)
Beware of gliders and winch cable.

CIRCUITS
------------
Very tight South circuits. Avoid flying to the North of the field.

WINDSOCK
--------
To the middle at the North side of the field.

NOTE
----
Aircraft departing Lymm to the South MUST either use the Low Level Corridor or exit the field and control zone by flying North, then West to the coast, before flying South and obtaining clearance through the Liverpool contolled airspace. It is easier to comply with the specified conditions and use the Low Level Corridor, for which ATC clearance is not
required.

RHOS-Y-GILWEN X7RG N52 2.22 W4 37.19 Altitude 400' AMSL =============

LOCATION
========
The field is located 3.5 miles SSE of Cardigan, Pembs.
The field is surrounded by hedges.
Beware of low flying military aircraft in this area.
This flight provides the pilot with the options of overflying the spectacular Snowdonia area or taking the route via the
Menai Straits.

RUNWAYS
-------------
08 / 26  (800 metres)
NOTE that runway 08 is not available.
Due to the slope at the Eastern end of the runway, 26 threshold is displaced, leaving a total available ditance of 600
metres only!

NOTE: NO OVERSHOOTS PERMITTED!

CIRCUITS
Apart from the exclusion of the use of runway 08, plus the ban on overshoots, there are no specific circuit instructions.

WINDSOCK
By the hangar, mid way along the Eastern edge of the strip.

Please note that, as in real life, no additional information is availabe.

I'm privileged to be allowed to be a member of Peter Dobbs' CYX Forum, where I can monitor feedback from the significant number of his group flying the Campaign. I'm impressed by their enthusiasm but also by the regular comments on the difficulty they experience in locating fields and in landing. Reports of multiple attempts are regular. The over riding impression is that they feel the Campaign flying is improving both navigational and flying skills. References to stress levels are numerous; and there are several real world pilots in the group!

At this relatively early stage of the Campaign, with only 18 out of 100 strips visited, can I urge you all to get the most out of this project by taking the advantage of the challenge it affords to improve your skills. If, at the end, you haven't had to do go arounds, aren't keenly aware that your flying skills, paticularly related to flying your landings "by the numbers", have improved and that you are more confident about route planning and navigation, then an opportunity will have been wasted and you will have only taken part in a game. If you find you've made a horlicks of a landing, or got lost on the way, then join the club! Do what the CXX members do; identify to yourself where you went wrong and repeat the flight, until you get there and down safely. It's not a competition and there are no debit points. Similarly, it doesn't matter if, because of the need to refly sectors, you aren't getting through the assignments in a week, no one knows and no one cares. If anyone drops behind and loses track of the assignments then I'll send you the growing list that I maintain.

Bones new exercises in Proceedural Approach flying and this Campaign are really complimentary and I guess we both think the effort put in will be well justified if we all feel we're making real progress.