Re: JAWS 10 - Auto forms mode

  • From: "alice dampman" <alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:11:20 -0400

Sighted people can also immediately see the blinking cursor and know where it
is in a microsecond. They don't have to remember every time they go to a web
site to do an additional key combination to check to see where that cursor is.
    No, I have not used the feature. But I don't have to be exposed to
everything to know whether or not it is a good idea for me or not. I already
can tell you that I don't want yet another thing to remember to do everytime I
open a web site. I guess, like the sighted people you refer to, I want to open
the site and go about my business without having to waste time and brain cells
ha ha checking to make sure where I am. I'd rather have the program
consistently place me in the same situation. Web sites are quirky and behave
differently enough when using a screen reader without adding yet another
variable into the mix.
    For example, I love web sites that put me back where I was when I go back
to the previous page after visiting a link.
It's consistent, it's convenient. All web sites do not do this successfully. It
can be worked around, but it seems so much easier to me if you go back to the
same point from which you departed.
Alice
alicedh@xxxxxxxxxxx