[jaws-uk] Re: Laptops

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:02:08 -0000

Lenovo is spun off from IBM whose laptops have generally always been
considered good if somewhat expensive.  I would see no reason not to
have one of those models on your shortlist although they are quite
different machines.  IBM/Lenovo and Toshiba sit at the top of my
personal pile to look at.  I've had two Toshiba Tecras and both were
very stable if not exactly up to the minute for their time being
business workhorse time machines but were otherwise ecellent machines.
Dell are worth a look and have gone up a point or two on my scale
because for some ranges they will do an absolutely vanilla machine
without bloadware.

Last year I brought a Sony VAIO, although in itself not a bad machine,
its performance is only average really and Sony put tons cr*ppy
bloatware on them including Norton trial.  I got so fed up with it that
I brought an OEM VISTA Ultmiate and after a bit of a tussle getting
various drivers to work, including a genuine Sony battery that is no
longer recognised as such prsently, I have a clean VISTA SP1 system.  I
wouldn't recommend the Sony's on this particular basis I have had
machines that are easier to rebuild from scratch than my present Sony.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Support