[jaws-uk] Re: Laptops

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:37:18 -0000

Mike,

I'm not sure about all the possible issues relating to your specific number
pad but perhaps the following comments might help:

Generally with number pads, the top left key is the number lock key.  It
acts as a toggle switch between the keys having numeric functions (e.g. 1,
2, 3, 4 etc) and other functions such as arrow up, down, left and right etc.
Normally for Jaws usage, you would want the number lock set to the "Number
Lock Off" position.  Just hit the top left key until you hear Jaws announce
the correct setting.

In this regard, you do have a bit more functionality, especially if you do a
lot of inputting of numbers.

However, in general terms, there is nothing that you can't achieve using the
laptop keyboard.  You do need to learn how to access these features but once
you have the idea there is little difference in what you can do.

Not sure why you are losing the ability to navigate/read in Word and Notepad
but you could try using the Jaws key+ESCAPE combination to refresh the
screen.

In terms of the Jaws cursor and the PC cursor, essentially the Jaws cursor
takes the role of the mouse pointer and the PC cursor is the active cursor
in the application.  A general rule is that the Jaws cursor can go anywhere
on the screen but the PC cursor is limited to the active areas of the screen
e.g. working area in a document, menus etc.

For Jaws help information try the following keystrokes:

Jaws key+F1 gives help information about the item you are on at the time.
Jaws key+F1 tapped twice quickly takes you to Jaws help for the application
you are in at the time
Jaws key+Letter H gives hot key information
Jaws key+Letter W gives Windows keystroke help information

Depending which command you have issued, you will need to press ESCAPE or
ALT+F4to return to what you were doing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jamie