[jaws-uk] Re: Laptops

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:52:09 -0000

Toshiba do a large range of laptops suiting all sorts of needs from consumer
models like the Qosomo to Satelite midrange and Tecra/Portegé business ranges
with speeds to match, but anything from about 1.8GHz that is a Pentium Dual
Core 2 will be quite adequate for most tasks.  If you start heading into the
2.0GHz barrier then things become more expensive.  However that belies the fact
that hardware of almost any kind is very cheap really.  Over 15 years ago £1000
would have got you the most basic of all laptops if you could get one at all
for that money.  Now somewhere between £400 and £800 will get you a very decent
machine in either deskop or laptop category.

The one thing I have noticed about the two machines I have had most recently is
the sound is rather tinny.  As laptop weights and sizes are squeezed downwards
I suppose the sound becomes the casualty, this is not restricted to office
laptops because my Sony is cross between office and consumer model and has
rather tinny speaker that don't exactly shake the place with volume despite the
fact it has a nice glossy screen for watching DVDs.  If someone were to watch
DVDs at any distance they would be cupping their ear somewhat to hear the
action.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx